Patio Sofa Reveal – DIY

Good evening friends!

I hope you guys had a fantastic weekend. I plan to do a weekend recap tomorrow since our latest DIY post is ready for it’s reveal…finally! I’ll let Brett take it away from here, so I wish you all a nice and productive week ahead.

Dumpster Dive Sofa Spruce-Up

Hey guys, Brett here. I recently went on a fishing trip with my friend Ryan. On our ride back home, he and I spotted this old sofa in a garbage pile on side of the road. It was quite difficult to envision how I would recreate this piece while standing on side of the road, but I knew I could do something to bring this old forgotten wood sofa back to life. 

IMG_3315

First, I decided to strip the piece down to its frame and start fresh. I used a gel paint stripper to remove varnish and then used a belt sander to take the old stain finish out.

IMG_3318

I then used two types of baseboard panels to dress up the frame of the sofa. I simply secured them into place with my brad nailer and sanded the seem flush. In this picture I was testing the placement of the wooden feet.

IMG_3355

I drilled holes in the base and fitted four unfinished wood feet that I purchased from the hardware store. To create the seat and backing of the sofa, I used tongue and groove pine panels. I applied some construction adhesive in grooves and clamped all the panels, allowing it to dry overnight. The following day, I used wood screws to secure the panelling to the frame of the sofa, and used wood putty to fill the holes made by the brad nailer and screws.

IMG_3371

Because of the size of the sofa, I applied Dark Walnut stain by MinWax with my garden sprayer.

DSC03581

I allowed the stain to set in for a few minutes, and then wiped away the excess stain with a large towel. I let the piece dry overnight.

IMG_3377

After the stain was dried, I applied three coats of Helman’s exterior spar varnish. Because the piece of furniture was going on our patio, I knew it would need an exterior sealer to withstand the elements.

IMG_3414

And finally, we added some outdoor pillows for additional comfort and color.

DSC03642This dumpster dive project did require a number of materials, but cost were still kept to a minimal. For lumber, feet, and finishes (not including pillows) the cost totaled $78.00.

At first, I had a hard time re-imagining this piece, so I simply walked down the lumber aisle at the hardware store and brainstormed as I browsed. I had fun with this project, and I learned it is sometimes better to have no plan at all. I decided to “go with the flow” on this project, and it paid off! Celina and I were very happy with the end result and have already enjoyed a few evenings on our new outdoor sofa.

patiosofabeforeafter

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Patio Sofa Reveal – DIY

  1. Jamie Noto

    Good evening!!! Great job on the sofa! I love it and you should get lots of enjoyment from it! Just to let you know I shopped Home Depot today and purchased the Behrs concrete stain for my back patio! I watched the DVD and I know I can do this! I’m just waiting for our weather here in south central Texas to dry out and warm up just a bit more then I’ll be ready to start! Wish me luck!

    Like

    Reply
  2. Mike Juneau

    I was lucky enough to witness the project from start to finish. Beautiful! Bret has a few pieces I am quite fond of……like that coffee table! Nice work Bret. Very creative. Talented

    Like

    Reply
  3. Pingback: 100th Post! | My Cajun Trinity

  4. Pingback: ONE YEAR | My Cajun Trinity

  5. Pingback: Our Starter Story – A Tour of Our Home | My Cajun Trinity

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s